Continental opinions? Forget it... it's mainly rubbish.

It is a funny thing you know, I was born in Holland and am a naturalised Briton. With a Welsh flavour of lamb! I read the Dutch Question and Answer website – Quora (and the German and English ones as well). I hope I don’t sound a bit of an idiot, I just am able to speak and write in those languages (as well as Welsh). I suppose some people have a flair for languages, I just like them. Anyway, on the Dutch website I am horribly aware of some people I would call plonkers, who have some opinions about how the UK is faring after Brexit. And not only that but seem to think we here live in abject poverty! These people tend to have had a good education but their knowledge of people is sadly lacking. They speak and write in platitudes, Wikipedia says this - A platitude is a trite, meaningless, or prosaic statement, often used as a thought-terminating cliché, aimed at quelling social, emotional, or cognitive unease. The statement may be true, but its meaning has been lost.

They are convinced that we are suffering, destitute, thinking about our ‘Empire’ all day long and wanting to restore it. We are overblown nobodies that should disappear within five years due to inbreeding. Haha, if that is how the continentals, those in Holland, think I don’t give a jot about the coherence of the EU. Coherence in the sense of sticking together of course. Yeah, I like platitudes as well! Obviously these characters are a minority. I fail to believe everybody is like that or thinks like that. Remember there are political streams in good ol’ Holland that are akin to fascism. The PVV of Geert Wilders is one such reactionary party. But characters such as the writers on Quora do not mention that. They make no comparisons. Frankly no wonder the EU is in a bit of trouble. Let’s hope they can survive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where are the aliens?

Is there such a thing as mind-control?

Is humanity performing euthanasia on itself?