Is Guantanamo Bay fit for purpose?

Like loads of people I buy some things from Amazon. I do quite a lot of repair work on my property and I find Amazon has most of the things I need without me having to go outside to the large stores. As a matter of fact it is difficult to get in there due to Covid. But as it happens to get out of the plentiful delivery charges I joined Amazon Prime. It gives Kindle books, films to stream and other things. So I looked at what films are available and frankly most are crap, second rate rubbish that did not even gross a few hundred dollars I suppose. Although searching you will find a jewel or two. Last night I locked in ‘The Mauretanian’. A film based on true happenings. It is a heart-rending account of an Arab person being incarcerated in the American folly called Guantanamo Bay for 14 years! Whilst I can understand American feelings after 9/11, I fail to understand how the American constitution allowed indefinite detention WITHOUT trial, and worse, torture practices. These were depicted in this film and it was horrific! Is this the same America that fought WW2 because of vile dictatorships, human suffering and freedom? I suppose there is no government in the world that is completely clean. They all have something to hide. You may ask why but all I can say it seems to do with keeping power and influence. That’s the same as Britain acquiring its empire during the 17 and 1800’s. America has done it differently, it became the world’s policeman and has made the same mistakes as all police forces can do. It is basically human failure to do the right thing. When you’re wrong admit it and right it. The Mauretanian was not even guilty of terrorist activity but he did train for a brief period with Al Queda and had met during his stay for education in Germany with one of the pilots who flew into one of the Trade Center buildings. It seemed circumstantial evidence but it was enough to classify him as a terrorist in American eyes. The film is not too clear as to how he was taken because he lived in Mauretania. But again collusion between government agents seemed to have been the case. What was incredible that even after all that happened to him he was helped to withstand the most horrific torture, beatings, waterboarding, by his faith. After seeing this film it has only strengthened my aversion to American politics. The duplicity of politicians and the ‘following orders’ mentality. America? The US needs to be careful it is not following Nazi Germany from the past...

Seeing that film showed the depravity of humans, humans who did not object to carry out the vilest of practices to get a confession. The problem is how do you value a confession obtained through torture? Just asking... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where are the aliens?

Is there such a thing as mind-control?

Is humanity performing euthanasia on itself?